Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Great Wall

It stretches 5,500 miles long.If you were to draw a line between Los Angeles & New York, it would only be half that size (2,451 miles as the crow flies). That's a long wall.It was begun sometime around the 8th century BC and sections continued to be built, added to, and rebuilt up through the 15th century (AD).As a symbol of China and a world heritage site, efforts are being made to preserve the wall which has fallen victim to centuries of desertifation, sand storms, erosion, and in our modern enlightened society, vandalism.There's a lot of work to be done, but even if I never get to stroll down it, I'd like to think it is there and will be there forever.

3 comments:

  1. And to think I am proud when I weed a row in my garden. That is some SERIOUS building. It is truely a man-made-marvel. I always think of the effort involved in the pyramids - but a wall TWICE the length of the USA built by hand... holy crap builder man. When are we going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ive been showing these posts to one of my charges, and she loves them. she would like to request Kilimanjaro and Buckingham Palace for future expeditions. (she is 4 1/2 and her name is Caroline.)

    ReplyDelete