Monday, November 23, 2009

Sri Lanka

"Ayubowan."
May you enjoy the gift of long life is the traditional greeting in Sri Lanka.
From the time I learned there was a place called Sri Lanka, I admit, I was intrigued. It's a teardrop shaped island off the tip of India in the Bay of Bengal known for its Buddhism and Beaches, Lagoons and Shrines, and for Gem mining. According to one source, Vasco de Gama said that this island was the best place to go for Cinnamon and Sapphires. Anciently, the island was known as Ceylon by its inhabitants and Serendib or Serendip by Arab traders. (That's where we get our word "serendipity" in point of fact.)

Just remember who has the right of way at the crossroads.

4 comments:

  1. dont you think the elephants have the right-of-way because theyre the biggest things on the road?! beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd yield to one! Too bad Sri Lanka is so well known for human rights abuses. It does look to be a gorgeous island. Some of the places I've virtually vacationed I'd like to visit, but I don't know that I'd be willing to give my actual tourist dollars to a country that is known to have many official and unexplained disappearances. I'd like to see an elephant crossing, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, no kidding? I'll just pretend that when you "disappear", it is because you've left your family for one of these beautiful beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SO great - I NEVER have the right of way here!!! I'm going to look into one of those signs for my street. I love the beach and the waterfall - and I know that you say that palms are just weeds - but I love that they are warm weather weeds. The warm looks inviting - even if the unexplained disappearances don't... well, SOMETIMES they MIGHT. You want to go tomorrow? Word.

    ReplyDelete