Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Maldives


Maldives. Tiny little atolls dotting the Laccadive Sea, spread over 90,000 square kilometers. This tropical paradise is on the equator, so the average temperature ranges from a low of 79 to a high of 84.
















It's the lowest country on earth. It's highest point is 7'7" above sea level. That's it: seven feet, seven inches.Needless to say, it has a vibrant aquatic profile.










According to the State Department, "The early history of the Maldives is obscure. According to Maldivian legend, a Sinhalese prince named KoiMale was stranded with his bride--daughter of the king of Sri Lanka--in a Maldivian lagoon and stayed on to rule as the first sultan."


It's the perfect place to go and enjoy some sunshine, some snorkeling or SCUBA diving, and a brilliant sunset.

6 comments:

  1. I AM SOOOOO THERE!!! Oh wait...

    There are tears in my eyes right now for the sorrow of not being in Maldives. Thanks, I needed a tropical vacation - actually, NO thanks because my ache is now just all the worse. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 79 to 84! And, obviously no hills to climb. Sign me up. Of course, there seems to be some caveat lector missing here to let us know that all of this beautiful sea life is as deadly as it is aesthetically pleasing. It sure we be hard to stay out of water that pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I trust my lectors to know enough not to bait lionfish. The real caveat would be the fact that one big wave will (and has) wash away everything in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I see now why you left that out. A virtual vacation is just not the same with virtual disasters...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have expected hotter right at the equator. That temp range sounds just about right! However, my paralyzing fears of natural disasters (like a big wave that completely washes everything away) and deadly wildlife make me grateful that this vacation is virtual. I will be returning to this post frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The image you are using for an avatar at ...

    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yj9acxcmi7E/SLcVuoAeG9I/AAAAAAAAAAk/Hwz-gAoDzcA/S220/goldfish_celestial_w250.jpg

    belongs to us and is being used by you without permission and in violation of international copyright laws.

    Please remove it immediately.

    AquariumFish.net

    ReplyDelete